Wallsend sits south of Maryland and Shortland and north of Elermore Vale. Birmingham Gardens separates Wallsend from the University of Newcastle and Minmi is to its south.
Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Company’s first coal mine opened in 1860 and as a result the towns of Wallsend and Plattsburg grew rapidly. Commercial buildings and shops were built to service the needs of the influx of miners. In the 1860s, following a period of drawn-out arguments with management, a group of disgruntled miners began the co-operative mine on the present site of Wallsend High School. The mine ceased production in 1934.
The 1989 earthquake resulted in the demolition of many century-old buildings; however, Wallsend still retains the ambience of its “coal mining village” years.