To the south-west of Newcastle, Valentine is bordered by Belmont, Mount Hutton and Eleebana. A large part of the suburb is taken up by a nature reserve but its lakeside lifestyle is the main drawcard of the area.
Although discovered in 1869, Valentine wasn’t named until 1916. Contrary to popular belief it was not named after St Valentine, but after the family who once owned the land. Coal was Valentine’s biggest resource and the area was mined until the 1950s. In 1958 the first school was opened and residential development started soon after.
“THE AREA HAS SEVERAL WALKING TRACKS, ITS MOST POPULAR BEING THE CENTENARY OF FEDERATION HERITAGE TRAIL.”