Cessnock is a Hunter Valley city surrounded by the suburbs of Nulkaba, Kearsley, Bellbird and Kitchener.
Cessnock was named after an Ayrshire Castle by the original landowner, John Campbell. The township developed from 1850 as a service centre at the junction of the Great North Road. The Cessnock Inn was established in 1856 and became a halfway house for people travelling between Maitland and Wollombi.
Industries during the period up until WWII included dairying, grazing, timber-getting and saw-milling, and manufacturing of earthenware pipes and textiles.