Is there anything to consider if my property has a swimming pool?

If your property has a swimming pool or spa then a copy of a valid Certificate of Compliance issued in the past three years is required.  This must be done before any lease or renewal being signed; without this, your property cannot be leased. For more information about swimming pools in rental properties, look at our article: Is…Read More→

Do I need smoke alarms fitted in my property?

The owner is responsible for the supply and installation of Australian Standard approved smoke alarms, ensuring there is the correct number in the right location under Regulations. If preferred, Leah Jay can arrange a professional inspection by a smoke alarm provider for an annual fee.

Should I consider allowing pets?

Approximately 63% of Australian households own pets. Many pet owners are responsible and ensure no damage is caused to the property or grounds. It is certainly worth considering when you are looking for a good tenant that you consider tenants with pets. Here’s some more information about pets in rental properties.

How often are inspections carried out?

Routine inspections of the property are carried out eight weeks after the tenancy has commenced and then every six months thereafter. Owners receive a copy of all reports and your property manager will communicate any concerns they may have with you. We encourage owners to view their property at least once a year – this should…Read More→

Do I need insurance?

We strongly recommend that you have landlord insurance in addition to building insurance. This covers you for tenant-related risks, including loss of rental income and loss or damage to your contents and building by the tenant. You can find out more about landlord insurance at EMB or Terri Scheer.

How do other agents offer lower fees?

A lot of real estate agents add ‘property management’ onto their standard buying and selling of homes. Often these companies will charge lower fees because their core focus is on the income they make from sales commissions. We focus 100% on property management, have managed properties for over 25 years and have a strong team, which…Read More→

How can I maximise my investment?

We can work with you to maximise your investment and ongoing yield through targeted improvements to your property. This can be done with regular maintenance, freshening up the property and maximising the presentation through painting, pruning of trees etc. The underlying aim is to help maximise the benefit from your investment right through the investment lifecycle, from…Read More→

Tenant Information Statement

For a full outline of what you must know, please refer to the Tenant Information Statement provided by the Department of Fair Trading.

What about water usage?

You will be notified in advance if you need to pay for water usage and will be invoiced by Leah Jay separately from the rent. Please do not pay Hunter Water direct. You will be given 21 days to pay the account.

Can I sublet or transfer my lease?

Subletting and transferring is not permitted without prior written approval from our office. Any new tenants must complete an application form and go through the normal approval process and then sign on to the lease depending on the circumstances. This request may be refused should the applicant not meet our criteria or if the property…Read More→